Good morning everyone! I’m coming at you with another recipe today, and let me tell you, I am so excited about this one. While I was home for spring break and recipe testing/shooting for my photography project, the idea for this recipe came to me out of nowhere and I pretty much made it up as I went. But, it turned out so well. Seriously. I am really proud of this one and I highly recommend you give it a try.
Strawberry season is almost upon us, and these strawberry balsamic chicken drumsticks are the perfect mix of sweet from the strawberries and savory from the thyme. They will make the perfect addition to your spring or summer BBQ’s, and they’re also pretty simple to make. All you do is prepare the marinade, let the chicken sit for a few hours, roast, and eat. Easy as pie (easy as chicken legs?). Check out the recipe below and let me know in the comments what you think if you make them!
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 tsp. dried thyme (could also use 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup high-heat oil (I use avocado oil, but could sub coconut oil or melted ghee)
- 6-10 chicken drumsticks
- In a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and strawberries and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and continue to cook until the strawberries begin to soften and break down
- Remove saucepan from heat, smash strawberries as well as you can with a fork or potato masher, add salt, pepper, and thyme, and let cool completely
- Once cool, combine chicken legs, oil, and balsamic mixture in a square glass pan or Ziplock bag, making sure the pan is covered tightly or the bag is sealed all the way
- Marinate the chicken covered in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours
- Set the oven to 375° (convection roast is you have it) and remove the chicken from the fridge to come room temperature while the oven heats up
- Place a roasting/cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and arrange the drumsticks evenly on the rack
- Roast in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, brushing the drumsticks with the marinade every 10 minutes or so
- Optional: reduce the remaining marinade on the stove until thickened to serve as a dipping sauce with the chicken
- Remove chicken from the oven and let rest for 5-10
- Dig in!
Grill option: preheat grill to 350-400°, put drumsticks on the grill, let cook covered for 30 minutes, turn them over, cook for another ~10 minutes or until meat thermometer registers to 165°.